So recently I’ve been posting short daily vlogs over on tiktok & surprisingly people seem to enjoy them. (CLICK HERE to check them out)
Because they are daily sometimes I show what we are eating and a heavily featured meal is a regular go to for us, chicken pasta.
I get asked so often for the recipe and I am hesitant to make a video on it, because recipe content isn’t really my thing.
So I thought I would just write it out for you…
- Chicken breast
- Diced bacon
- 250ml cream
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup of grated cheese of your choice
- If you want to use the diced bacon (sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t…) fry it off first and then set it aside to add on top of the pasta when serving.
- Start cooking pasta (cook until nearly done)
- Dice onion, mince garlic & grate zucchini – sauté in pan.
- Dice chicken – add to pan with vegetables and cook until cooked through. (How much chicken I use depends on how many people I am cooking for, if it’s just the kids and I, I use just one breast and then I add on from there…)
- Once chicken is cooked, add in 1 cup/250ml of cream, 2 cups of stock (I use 1 tbsp quirky chicken stock paste & 1 tbsp of vegetable stock paste that I make in the thermomix & I combine that with 2cups of water. If you don’t have this stock paste, just use your preferred type of stock)
- Stir until combined and then add in the 1 cup of grated cheese – whatever cheese you prefer. Sometimes I use parmesan, other times the pizza grated cheese in the bag – this meal is fairly forgiving.
- Drain the pasta
- Add pasta to pan and stir to coat pasta.
- Season however you like – I usually add cracked pepper & a sprinkle of vegeta stock powder and sometimes I just forget to.
- Continue to cook & stir gently over a medium-high heat until the mix is simmering & pasta is cooked through.
- At this point I normally turn the heat off and pop a lid on the pan. I find letting it sit for about 20-30minutes helps the sauce to be absorbed a bit by the pasta & it thickens. If you serve it straight away, it’ll just be a bit more liquidy.
- When serving I top with diced bacon (from step 1), but sometimes I don’t…
So that’s it.
The basic part which you need to know is 1 cup of cream, 2 cups of stock & 1 cup of cheese. That makes the sauce, the rest you can customise however you like.
You could add in whatever veggies you like (mushrooms maybe? I am not a huge fan of cooked mushrooms…)
You could use a shredded BBQ chook from woolies if you are short on time & don’t feel like dicing & cooking chicken breast… It really is a very basic & forgiving recipe.
When I make it we always have leftovers for the next night or the freezer. (It does freeze & reheat well)
Everyone I make this meal for always enjoys it & both my kids love it too.
For me it’s comfort food, I like it and I hope you do too.
Please let me know if you make it & any changes you made to it.